Nunasi’s group of companies create job opportunities for Inuit across Nunavut and outside Nunavut.
Nunasi Corporation has investments in a wide-array of industries including retail, transportation, manufacturing, insurance, travel, education, multimedia, fuel distribution, digital communications, medical boarding facilities, contracting and commercial real estate.
Cook – Kitchen Department
Positions available: Full-time, includes weekends, evenings and holidays
Reports to: Kitchen Supervisor and General Manager
Salary Range: Dependent on qualifications
Closing Date: Thursday, 2015 August 20 (at 3:00pm)
Larga Baffin strives to provide Nunavummiut with quality care during their medical appointments in Ottawa. We are dedicated to creating a safe and respectful environment with friendly and caring staff. We offer a nice warm bed, healthy meals and local ground transportation to medical appointments. Our facility is strategically located in Ottawa so that our clients can access the hospitals and airport in a timely manner.
The cook’s main responsibility is to prepare high quality food products quickly and efficiently for our clients and staff. The cook is also responsible for maintaining a clean and sanitary environment. Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally with clients, staff and service providers.
- Assist with the preparation of food items according to the supervisor’s specifications and standards
- Take initiative to ensure all tasks are completed in each section
- Complete all asks as outlined by the supervisor
- Supervise the general cleanliness of the kitchen department
- Responsible for preparing and producing food items – a la carte, buffets, banquets to the high standards set by Larga Baffin
- Stock, organize, clean and sanitize the work area, equipment and utensils
- Assist with food requisitions
- Knowledge of nutritional options and restrictions within the menu
- Follow all health and safety, sanitation policies, procedures and standards
- knowledge & Skills
- Strong organizational/decision making skills and an aptitude for problem solving
- Thrive in a high energy work place
- Strong knowledge of operating and maintain equipment in a commercial kitchen
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Promote professional work habits, encourage fellow staff to work with integrity
- Ability to work without direct supervision
- Ability to remain calm in emergency situations
- Ability to lift/carry supplies, etc. up and down stairs and perform repetitive physical tasks such as standing for extended periods, bending, crouching
- Ability to organize and prioritize work assignments to completion
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English and at lease a basic understanding of Inuktitut preferred
- Must have the patience and maturity to tactfully and diplomatically interact with clients, visitors and staff
Minimum Job Requirements
- Previous kitchen experience in a hospital or industrial type setting which includes public interaction
- Positive attitude and a consistent display of professionalism
- Ability to compute basic mathematical calculations
- Knowledge of proper sanitation procedure and food safe guidelines
- Understanding of commercial kitchen procedures
- Inuktitut a strong asset
- First Aid/CPR/AED and WHIMIS certified (or willingness to learn)
- Must be willing to obtain a current Criminal Reference Check
Please submit resume & cover letter by 2015 August 20 to:
Larga Baffin Ltd.
1071 Richmond Rd.
Ottawa, ON K2B 6R2
Email submissions preferred to: email@example.com
Priority will be given to qualified Nunavut Beneficiaries. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Larga Baffin is not responsible for re-location costs.